Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Settings I’d Like To See More Of (Or At All)
A meme from the Broke and the Bookish.
Today’s topic: Top Ten Settings I’d Like To See More Of (Or At All)
- North Carolina – The south is getting more exposure but I still feel like if it is noticeably the south then it has to be obnoxious accents and all.
- Other planets with aliens – We have made it to outer space lately with YA but it still tends to be humans often on shuttles.
- Other culture fantasy – We are seeing more of this but I think we can always use more fantasy based on other traditions rather than the Western classics.
- Medieval fantasy – This is so silly but I kind of miss the “cliché” medieval style fantasy. Not actually set in medieval times but you know what I mean.
- Europe (London, Prague, Paris) – I have read some of these lately and I know others are out there, but I need recommendations.
- Wilderness – Seeing people really use survival skills, maybe really cold weather. Doesn’t have to be the whole book but more than a few days. This kind of connects to 10.
- Totally fictional worlds – I love worlds where there is a mix of cultures, a mix of realistic and completely fabricated. I think this takes it a step beyond the medieval style fantasy.
- On ships and boats – I am totally picturing tall ships and pirates and sailors and calluses and things that I know nothing about.
- Africa/India/Asia/Middle East – I just read a novel set in India and it made me want more… exotic. I know that sounds ridiculous but I think the more stories like this, the more variety in general.
- Islands – I love the idea of what isolation does to people. I think it allows you to really focus on characters.