Booking Through Thursday: Equality
A meme from Booking Through Thursday.
Today’s topic is “All other things (writing quality, story, etc), which would you rather read?
1. Something written by a man or a woman?
2. Something with a male or female protagonist?
3. Something funny or something tragic?
4. Something short or something long with many parts?
5. Something simple or something layered?”
1. Woman – I mean I am one. I’m more likely to pick up a book by a woman, I like to support women writers.
2. Female – Once again, I am one! I read for an escape from reality. I think I am better transported when the character is the same gender. I love some male protagonists, but I don’t lose myself quite as much.
3. Funny – I look for adventure and fun. I read things with darkness but not true tragedy. Tragic things that are too real just put me in a funk.
4. Short – I love a good short romp in a new world. Yes, there are series I love but they require more thought and more work. A good stand alone can give me instant gratification.
5. Simple – Uhhh? I guess? It is kind of like the last one, I love simple things, just having fun. I think you can have short and funny and layered but its harder. I think these tie together. It would be hard to put a single novel in the world of Westeros. I like layered though, it is just harder to fit with the other first choices?