A meme from the Broke and the Bookish.
Today’s topic: Top Ten Bookish Goals For 2013
For me this includes bookish, blogish, and writingish…?
1. Book Reading Goals – Last year I did not make my goal. It wasn’t that high relative to other bloggers. I only made 43. My best year was 78… but I took a children’s literature course that year and read many picture books. The some day goal is 100 per year but I’m a “bit” away from that still.
2. Blogging – Keeping up with all the posts I’ve committed myself too. I want to be reliable and regular. I do also want to talk about life a little bit more but that is a hard thing to get adjusted to. I have a pretty calendar to do it and we’re going to work on good book habits.
3. Social Media – Oh this counts. I want to be more involved. I want to post my own things but I also want to be more involved in the larger discussion of books. I want to be connected with bookish people. Ironically while I would like more local connections as well I feel my best chance of finding them is actually online.
4. Prioritizing – I have a tendency to feel obligated to finish a series. I try to force myself to expand my horizons. I feel obligated to read ARCs (this is honestly the one that gives me the most guilt, 2011 ARCs on my shelf). I have books that have been waiting YEARS to read but I convince myself others should come first. I am trying to work on putting my own joy first.
5. Audiobooks – I suppose that is a weird goal, but I need to get in shape and I feel like a dual purpose of working out and listening is a good way to keep me motivated.
6. Not Over Keeping – I have a contrast of parents… the organized minimalist mother and the more haphazard pack rat father… I mirror them both at times. I love keeping books. I love the look and the touch but honestly there are books that I have kept that I have no reason to. I went through a large amount last year but this year the goal is to keep reading those I’ve been stashing and if I’m not in love try to find it a home where someone will be.
7. Edit My 2012 NaNoWriMo – Mark of Meranda is the farthest I have gotten with a project in a long time. So even though I’ve had a bit of a breather I am still committed to it. I haven’t actively been writing but I have been mulling over certain issues. I think I might have to sacrifice certain conflicts. The premise to make them all work is simply too extreme.
8. Use the Library – Yes I have a ridiculous amount of books that I want to read that I own but honestly it feels quite silly to admit that I NEVER use the library. I don’t just buy my favorites I buy EVERYTHING, thus the need for number 6. So while it might not stop immediately I try to tell myself. You can get it from the library. I even have a card that I have yet to use.
9. Cataloguing – I have my own books sortedish but I would like to add Ben’s as well. Our video games have comingled completely. Our books have started. I keep slowly trying to make him a larger part of all of my record keeping and books is a fun part!
10. Robert Jordan – It is such a detailed series that it needs focus. Now that the series is done I don’t have to worry about waiting between. I might even have to start over there is just so much to remember. Once I start I will not stop until it is done.