A meme from the That Artsy Reader Girl.
Today’s Topic: Books That Surprised Me (in a good or bad way)
- Darth Vader: Volume 1 – I wasn’t sure what to expect from this series but I think the surprise that was the most satisfying was seeing in-depth the dynamic between the Emperor and Vader.
- The Private Eye – This job did a good job of building a future that felt familiar and new, then it used that familiarity against me. I did not expect several things about the ending of this book and it was wonderful.
- All New Wolverine – I hadn’t met Laura Kinney before I started this book, I expected loveable and gruff like her predecessor. I didn’t expect the warmth and the laughter that would come throughout this book. It continues to surprise me with its ability to balance the horror of their history with the now.
- JSA: The Golden Age – I was expecting something that fit the formulaic cliché’s in my head and while it did play to some of those it also had true death and other dark elements that I did not expect.
- Nailbiter – I expected horror but you also get the tale of a town, the stories of people, that are even harder to turn away from than the blood.
- Birthright: Volume 1, Homecoming – I expected it to be about a little boy trying to survive in another world, and it is but I was surprised by the fact that the harder part is him coming home.
- Curse Words: Volume 1 – I expected it to be silly, just a fun romp but it is definitely more. There is darkness and there is depth and there are mysteries yet to be answered.
- Watchmen – I was surprised by the emotion. There is raw pure emotion in this book that no movie will ever be able to capture.
- We Can Never Go Home: Volume 1 – This was the epitome of flipped expectations. I expected a fairly familiar mutant coming of age story but this is something more.
- Deathbed #1 – I was ready for a certain story, a split narrative, are his tales true? Sometimes the rules and expectations should be broken. I can’t wait to see where it goes. The surprise gave it such energy.