A meme from the Broke and the Bookish.
Today’s topic: Top Ten Books Featuring Travel In Some Way (road trips, airplanes, travelogues, anything where there is traveling in the book!)
I don’t read very many books that are what you think of for travel, this is more about journeys. No I did not include The Hobbit, it felt too obvious.
1. Emergency Sex by Kenneth Cain, Heidi Postlewait, and Andrew Thomson – Probably the closest to a travel book but more about harsh reality than having a nice vacation.
2. Hitty, Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field – This was probably the first book that came to mind. Hitty is a doll traveling with her owner and beyond.
3. Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier – Peter has quite the adventure into strange and unfamiliar lands with some very unique companions.
4. The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card – There isn’t much traveling but it is definitely a major feature. The travel here teeters on the edge of science fiction versus fantasy.
5. Reckless by Cornelia Funke – Through a mirror and into a land of fairy tale… but the journey goes deep into this dangerous land.
6. Coraline by Neil Gaiman – I read the graphic novel, yes I know. Instead of a mirror, Coraline travels through a small door in the wall and into a mirror universe, disturbing but similar.
7. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin – Minli is just a girl but she decides to go on an epic journey to try to change her fortune.
8. The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley – Aerin is a princess but everyone sees her as the daughter of the witch who seduced the king, until she goes on a journey to fight a dragon.
9. The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner – The Magus is using Gen, dragging him across one country and into another to steal something but the purpose of the journey might not be what they expect.
10. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente – This one has journey written all over it, literally. September is just an average American girl until she ends up in fairyland, trying to save it.